Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Blue Boots

We were scheduled to meet with Sammy's surgeon last Thursday to remove the casts and take out the pins in his legs. But that Tuesday before, he kept telling me that his right leg was really hurting and he awoke at 9:30pm and 3am with enough pain that he needed codeine to feel better. His surgeon wanted us to bring him in on Wednesday so he didn't have to wait it out in pain until Thursday.

They took more x-rays and everything looked good, so off we went to the cast room to get the pink casts removed. The cast room was crazy busy and we waited about 30 minutes before they took the casts off. Sammy's legs looked so little and skinny from muscle loss and he was a little freaked out by the way they looked (with these big metal things sticking out of him), but he was happy to have them off.

We took him back down the hall to the clinical area of the office and waited for his surgeon to come back in to remove the pins. That was pretty traumatic for him. Quick, but not painless. I held him down while Samuel held his legs and the doctor pulled them out. Even though I'm sure that totally hurt, he seemed happy they were out after he stopped screaming and crying. Then it was back down the hall for new casts. They were still super busy and we waited about an hour to get new casts put on.

Sammy chose blue this time and his foot is positioned flat as if walking, so he can attempted to stand and take a few steps if he chooses to. He was too scared to walk or even stand the first few days, but he has since stood with the help of the furniture and taken a step or two as long as he is holding on to something. It's not something he does often, but he has attempted it on occasion. I am sure that he will be moving around more these next few weeks.

He is so cute and keeps telling me that "these boots don't hurt, Mom". Poor guy still thinks that it was the boots that were hurting him and not a clue about what really happened. That's probably a good thing.

These "boots" come off on July 30th and then we should be done. Whoo hoo! Sammy and I CANNOT wait!

A big THANK YOU to Danielle for watching Hannah for me while I took Sammy to his appointment. I figured it would be a quick visit because it usually is, but with all the waiting in the x-ray and cast rooms, what I thought would only take 2 hours ended up being 4. I am so grateful that Danielle was able to watch Hannah for me because it would have been an absolute nightmare with all three kids bored and restless in the waiting room for hours.

7 comments:

danyelly said...

Anytime! Glad that I could help. His new boots look great.

Jean said...

Yay for the new blue boots!! Oh my gosh, I am so excited for July 30th, too. And Danielle rocks!!

Cherylann and Mike said...

So glad he is feeling better mentally and physically. What a cutie!

megan said...

i still think you all are awesome for doing what you do!!!!

and i like the blue :-) pink was great too, but the change is fun!

sachia said...

Ya..your pretty dang awesome and so is that darling little boy of yours! Those blue boots were made for walking....

dana said...

Such a cute picture in his blue boots! July 30th isn't too far away....right....?

B Brown said...

I'm so glad it went ok & that this process is almost over for Sammy. It seems like he really has been a real trooper.