Monday, November 30, 2009

Post Thanksgiving sickies

WARNING: do not read if you can't handle vomit stories

So it all began Saturday afternoon when Sammy complained that his stomach hurt...and it's all been downhill from there. The stomach flu bug has officially hit us.

He started to feel better around 2am, so I decided that he and I could (finally) go to bed--we took a bowl with us, just in case. I was awoken at 3am by Helene vomiting all over me and the bed. By this time everyone is awake, so all we all head downstairs so I can strip the sheets off my bed.

I begin doing laundry and brace myself for a long night. As expected, Hannah begins vomiting at 4am. At this point, it's all I can do to keep the vomit bowls coming. Everyone seems to quiet down and stop vomiting around 6am, so we all head back to bed--with bowls in hand. We slept until 9am and went downstairs. Sammy felt okay enough to have some cereal and I gave Helene some Joe's O's (same as Cheerios, but better). Hannah ate some goldfish crackers and seemed okay. I was so tired and Helene seemed like she needed a nap, so Helene and I went upstairs to bed. No sooner did I lie down, then Hannah starts yelling/crying from the top of the stairs. She had thrown up from the top of the stairs, vomit was all over her and literally cascading down the stairs. Awesome.

No nap for me. I start the bath for Hannah and begin cleaning up the stairs. Note to self: never let Hannah eat Parmesean Goldfish if she has the stomach flu--the smell coming back up is positively putrid. Samuel has been at work pretty much the entire time this has been going on (he works double shifts on the weekends and is really only home for a few hours to sleep). I call him just for a little sympathy and then go back to cleaning.

I do the best I can with the stairs, but they are carpet after all, so the smell isn't entirely gone. And I then go upstairs to nap with Hannah in tow--and a bowl. Helene and I woke up around 3:30, but Hannah was still passed out--poor thing.

Samuel got home around 5pm and went straight to bed since he has to get up for work at 10pm and had been there since 11pm the night before. Everyone seemed vomit free and doing okay with food and drink, so we all went to bed at 8pm. I woke up at 10pm to get Samuel up for work and fix him lunch to take with him. Hannah also woke up and we hung out and watched TV for a bit and then went back to bed around 11:30pm. Fortunately, it was a quiet night with no one getting sick.

This morning, everyone was doing great. No complaints of stomach pain, no vomiting. I was still a bit cautious and only allowed the kids toast to eat. Next thing I know, Hannah is vomiting all over the couch and the floor and herself. **sigh** Back to the tub she goes and I do my best to clean up the couch.

Samuel came home from work early so I could go over to Danielle's and borrow her steam cleaner (I didn't dare take the kids anywhere in the van) to use on the carpet and the couch (thank you Danielle!) and to get a diet coke. When I got back, Hannah wasn't downstairs. I asked Sammy where she went and he told me that she went upstairs to nap. Sure enough, there she was passed out next to Samuel. Anyone who knows Hannah, knows that just isn't like her at all.


Here's hoping she's over it soon since it looks like everyone else is better now. I'm just glad that Samuel and I survived this unscathed. Or am I speaking too soon?

8 comments:

Valerie Wise Christensen said...

Oh, you poor thing. I'm so glad I can give you love and sympathy from 12 hours away so I don't get sick! (knock on monitor)

Look! I'm a good loving friend now, all you had to do was add me to your autoemails. Can you set one up for your birthday? xoxoxoox

kristen said...

Wow... that sounds incredibly gross and awful. I can just imagine the vomit flowing down the stairs. ;P Hope you and Sam stay healthy, and that Hannah's feeling better soon!!!

Jean said...

Oh, Doris, I'm so sorry. That sounds horrible, and I hope it's passed by now. Tim and Weston and I went to Disneyland this evening, and as soon as we entered the Winnie the Pooh ride, Weston barfed all over me. We got him cleaned up, but later he barfed again in line for Pirates, and again in the parking garage. Yaaaaaay. :-) (Stupid stomach virus!) I'm just counting my blessings that he didn't throw up in the car, at least!!

LauraT said...

Ewww...you definitely had it worse than me, Doris. I'm so sorry. Vomit and carpeting-2 words-baking soda sprinkled all over it and then vacuumed up. That tends to help the smell evaporate more quickly. God willing, you and Samuel will be spared the dreaded vomit virus!

megan said...

oooh no no no fun!! for any of you!! I absolutely hate when anyone in my house gets the flu! blah!

hope things start looking up for you!

B Brown said...

What an awful few days. Hope everyone is on the mend. Thankgoodness for friends with steam cleaners.

Shannon Brown said...

I think that's the worst story I have ever heard involving the flu and kids. Glad it's over.

dana said...

OH that's the sweetest picture of Hannah. I just love pictures of sleeping kids. I'm sorry for the sickies! I'm glad you're feeling better!