Thursday, December 31, 2009

San Diego

Samuel had heard about the San Diego Big Bay Balloon Parade on December 30th to celebrate the Holiday Bowl game and wanted to take the kids to see it.

We drove down to San Diego that morning and got there right as the parade was starting. We decided to go to the end of the parade route so we'd be sure to see it all. When we approached the street it ended on, we saw lots of people lined up on the sidewalks, so we decided to join them while there was still room to sit/stand.

The street was divided with an island in the middle, and we kept trying to figure out why cars were still driving down the other side of the street. Turns out the official end of the parade was one block over, and we were in the "take down" area. Oh well. We still saw all the balloons and most of the floats and bands and other participants--they were just not always in their best form by the time they got to us.

The weather started out a little cool and slightly overcast with the sun peaking out occasionally behind the clouds. Perfect weather.

It all started with Jack.
Awesome.
He's looking right at me!!
YAY Thomas!
This penguin was falling over
by the time it got to us.
Hannah always manages to
find a dog (or two) to pet.
I'm not sure who was happier--Hannah or the dog.
We've seriously GOT to get her a dog.
Shamu!
Look! A real Hudson Hornet.
Those tanks are really big when they're driving right past you
There was a fire truck throwing out footballs.
Samuel got one for each kid.
Although Hannah didn't like the
fire engine's horn too much.
Group shot.
(In everyone's defense, the sun was out and was blinding us.)
Jean, I know you'll love these next photos.
It caused quite a stir when this next group came into sight.
Who knew there was an actual San Diego Star Wars Society?
Too funny.
They were apparently promoting this movie.
Sammy thought these little go-carts/bumper cars
(I don't know what to call them) were so cool.
Hot Rod!
Then I saw my favorite balloon coming around the corner...
Or should I say running around the corner...
Don't you just love all the cars driving down the street at the same time as the parade participants? I still have no idea why the street wasn't shut down.

Once the parade ended, we headed back to the car to go get some lunch.

These bicycle rikshaw or pedi-cab were all around the downtown area. We joked about having one take us to our car, but we decided to give the guy a break from having to bike with all 5 of us on board. Besides, we were only about 6 or 8 blocks away. Although from the way the kids were complaining, you would have thought it was 20 miles.

All Sammy wanted to do, of course, was ride the train.
When we walked outside after eating lunch, and it was freezing cold and drizzling. It was like that the rest of the day. So much for doing anything outside. We pretty much spent the rest of the time riding the train much to Sammy's delight.
We headed back home in the early evening. It was a fun day despite the weather--how can you not love San Diego??

4 comments:

Nat said...

I love San Diego! (except when I was living there, it just couldn't fill Pasadena's shoes:) ) There's always something fun and random going on, like this parade.
Great pics! I love the ones with Hannah and the dogs.

LauraT said...

What a fun parade! I'm glad you got to get away for the day together as a family. Happy New Year!

Tara said...

WOW!!! These posts makes me want to take a trip down there! Eddie loves anything trains, and Josh goes bonkers over anything Star Wars or Legos. Seriously, I think I'm going to try and hit SoCal this summer...if I can afford it after our month in Ut! (I might have to wait till next summer), but seriously, I forgot all the cool stuff there is to do down there! What a fun time. So, within a year or two, I'm just going to invite myself to your house, K? AND you know our door is always open, when you want an exciting visit to lovely 'ol Stockton. ;)

Jean said...

Hahahaha!!! That is AWESOME!!! I have to show these Star Wars pics to Tim. Who knew??! And I love the giant Stewie-Darth-Vader balloon! What a great parade!!