Saturday, October 9, 2010

School update, a brief grammar lesson, and some fun

Has anyone else noticed that the days of me updating the blog three times a week are gone?
So, what am I doing with my time now that I don't document every moment of our lives on the blog?

Being a mom?

Updating my FB?

Oh, who knows.

Well, I guess some people know if they chat with me often enough, but really, the poor blog has had some serious neglect. Time for an update.

Let's start with Sammy's school situation.
His permanent teacher started this week, just in time for Back to School Night. Literally.
And if you were keeping track, that's 3 weeks after school started.
Nice.

She's seems...fine.

I know, I know...have a little more enthusiasm. Show that positive attitude you've been working on, right? What happened to "no more complaining"?

It's just hard to have a good first impression of someone who sends home a letter to the parents introducing herself--and it has a glaring grammatical error on it.

Yes, I will admit that I have a tendency to judge people when they use poor grammar. And I'm certainly no grammar queen myself, just look at all my run-on sentences and all the "--" and "....." I use. (Although I do have very strong feelings about the Oxford Comma. Yeah, I'm a big fan.) But, I'm not a teacher, so I can run-on all I want...right? Anyway, I digress.

IMO, when you are a teacher. And your job is to educate on such things as grammar and spelling and the like, I would expect you to know the difference between plural and possessive.

And clearly that is asking too much.

I'm just saying. There is a big difference between coaching "lady's basketball" and "ladies basketball".

Guess which one she used to coach? (HINT: she wrote lady's basketball)

See my problem?

Ummm, yeah..."oh my" would be the correct reaction to that. sigh.

It really is not that hard people. Use an apostrophe to show possession. Use an "es" or "s" to indicate plural. And yet, that's too much to ask of a 1st grade teacher apparently.

(Aaannnndd.....rant...OVER. Thanks for listening.)

So, yeah, he has a permanent teacher. Yay.

Moving on.
Here are a few random pictures of what the girls and I did recently while Sammy was at school.

One day I had to go to Nordstrom (yes, had to...I was almost out of lipstick!!), so after shopping I decided to let the girls ride the train. Hannah loved it. Helene cried the entire time. In fact, they had to stop the train so I could take her off it, she was that upset. Mom of the year, I know.

Another day we met up with my friend Laura for lunch, where Helene proceeded to eat two cups of ketchup. I don't know where she gets it from. I don't eat the stuff.
Friday we made Halloween cookies at Krista's house. The girls were really excited about the entire process.
But I think frosting was their favorite part.
Look at that concentration.
There were A LOT of sprinkles on those cookies!
I'm not sure which I love more in this picture: Hannah's close up face with the big smile or Ally's black teeth from all the sprinkles.
When the little ones got up from their naps, they had a few cookies too. Despite their looks of disdain--I think they enjoyed them.
So that's my update.
I know it doesn't totally make up for all the blog neglect (and there's been a lot the past few months), but I'm trying to get back into my blogging groove--because I need more chips and salsa too. :)

4 comments:

Jean said...

Doris, you're awesome. I'm (slightly, lovingly) appalled at Sammy's teacher. Argh!! Those grammatical errors get me every time, too. Blah.

And I really (reeeeeaaaaally) want In N Out. I'm in serious withdrawal.

LauraT said...

I never did pay for your Diet Coke at In-n-Out, did I? Next time! Maybe you and I should meet Jean there soon, huh?

sherry carpet said...

i'm pretty sure you're way ahead of me on the blog updates. my head hurts thinking of all the undocumented life that is sweeping by! i will never remember it on my own.

p.s., doesn't hannah look just like minnie driver in some of those cookie pictures? cute, cute, extra cute.

dana said...

oh i love those two curly heads together. Hannah's hair is getting long! And yes, that close up shot is so cute.

And I'm so happy that Helene is taking after Lucy with her love of Ketchup :) Gross.

fun updates!