No TJs post today. I've spent the day at the ER with Samuel due to complications from his colonectomy in 2001. After blood work, an x-ray and three CT scans, they finally admitted him to the hospital late this afternoon.
Without being too graphic, his entire colon was removed back in 2001 due to severe ulcerative colitis. That used to mean that you had an external colostomy bag for the rest of your life, but thanks to medical advances, they now can form an internal "pouch" from the small intestine and hook that up to your rectum so everything works pretty much normally. Sorry if TMI--it could have been worse as I could have gone into much more detail.
Anyway, he was in a lot of pain and his stomach, especially the pouch area, was distended and he couldn't even walk. He was already at work (he works at a hospital for those who don't know), so he just walked down to the ER and checked himself in and then called to let me know.
Fortunately, my parents had to come into town today as my dad needed some emergency dental work done, so my mom came over as soon they arrived to stay with the kids and ended up staying for the rest of the day.
His doctor has concluded that there is some scar tissue causing blockage of any food or liquid passing though his system. They have put him on IV only--no food or liquid for 24 hours and then will observe hims as they introduce liquids the next day and possibly solid food the day after. So we are looking at most likely a 3 day stay. If they can't get any liquids to pass through, then they will go in laparoscopically to remove the scar tissue.
I didn't want to upset the kids (who wouldn't understand anyway), so I just told them that Daddy was at work, which is true--he IS at work...he just isn't technically working.
I got home around 6:30 tonight, just in time to feed the kids and put them to bed. I'm just glad that this happened on a day when my parents were around to help out and I didn't the added stress of wondering how the kids were doing at someone else's house for the entire day.
And Shannon, I appreciated the timing of your comment today--I have definitely had my fair share of hospital visits lately!
2 comments:
oh no...that is NOT good news. man, you guys are all over hospitals. sorry for all the craziness...call me if i can help with anything! seriously.
So sorry all of this is happening! Ditto about calling me! We're here for you!
Post a Comment