Monday, June 29, 2009

Time for a little change...

I've had long hair for a long time. A really long time. In fact, I think the last time I had short hair was when I was a sophomore in high school and it didn't look good on me at all. I know Sarah and Angela have pictures to prove that, but hopefully, they'll keep those to themselves.

I like long hair. I like the versatility of it and I like the way it looks on me. So this will come as a surprise to those of you who know me well.

I cut off at least 6 inches of my hair today.

Here is my hair in March 2009
(Ignore the post-baby chubbiness)
I always swore that I would never be one of those moms who chop off their hair as soon as they have a baby, so I've always kept my hair long. But apparently, having baby #3 did it to me.

My hair had just gotten way too long. It was always in the way, getting in Helene's face, getting caught in my seatbelt (has that happened to anyone else?), and super hot in the summer--I was wearing it up pretty much every day.

I've been toying around with the idea of cutting it for a while now and so today, I finally did it.

I really love the way it looks and am hoping that I can figure out how to straighten it all on my own. I'm afraid if I wear it curly, I will look like a poodle, but we'll just have to see what I can do with it.

17 comments:

Shannon Brown said...

Love it and the color.

Jean said...

I love love love it!! You look GREAT!!

Nicole said...

It looks SO good on you! I love it. I used to work at a salon and they always told me if you wore your hair up a lot you should have it short. good advice, you look great.

Angela said...

Beautiful! This is incomparably better than the high school short hair :) Of course, that was the days before straighteners.

Aud's Space said...

Beautiful:) It looks great on you. They have ceramic straighteners everywhere, even the the kyosks in the mall. I purchased one when i saw a lady from India with silky black hair tell me she straightened her hair in ten minutes! lol I can straighten my wavy thick hair in less then that! I'm sure it will look great curly too!

B Brown said...

Yowza! You're one hot momma. I think after 3 kids you deserve a shorter, easier do. I love it.

megan said...

LOVE it!!!! you look soooo young in those pictures too!!

april b said...

You look great! Love the style!

Lindsay said...

Looks cute!!!

dana said...

I love it! So cute on you! And change is fun.

sachia said...

Hair envy! You left your hooter hider here and I am out of town until Tuesday...hope you can keep it all hidden!:)

Nat said...

So cute, Doris!!

SG said...

It looks great Doris (as I said, you're like 25) ... and I promise to keep the 1991 photographs of you with short, curly hair hidden away until your children ask to see them.
I second the ceramic straightener advice. I can leave my hair wet (and you know how curly and thick it is), put a tiny bit of Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum in it, and let it air dry. Pull it through the ceramic iron - and, perfect!
Yay you!

Melissa said...

Love it! I felt thre same way about my hair but as you said number three was the kicker for me too! I think your haircut is absolutely beautiful!

Brittany said...

Cute! Very pretty. I don't remember ever seeing your hair straight. I'm sure it'll look beautiful either way. Personally, my hair looks way better when I blowdry and/or curl it, but I'm usually just too lazy. I've been pretty good at

Tara said...

I used to do the same thing to my hair when it was that length. My only addition to the rest of the advice, get a REALLY good salon quality thermo/heat protector serum made to use with ceramic irons. (I bought mine at a kiosk too, love it, now Jade uses it) My hair would burst with split ends a month after a haircut because of the iron. I always air-dried, and would wash it every other or every 3rd day to minimize the iron use, but still. And I made the mistake of getting a razor-cut one time, looked great, but it's near impossible to trim back the damaged ends because they are like, everywhere! I am a super touchy-feely person with my hair, and if it feels dry and brittle, I hate life. I ended up cutting it shorter and shorter because I couldn't stand the damaged ends from the iron, and eventually cut it boy-short. I'm more of a short-hair person anyway. Your hair is gorgeous curly or straight! Straight is a fun change for us curly-heads. It's extra work, but looks awesome on you! Just do what you can to keep it healthy while you damage it. hehe

lyndsey said...

i LOVE it! you look smokin hot :)