Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The End of an Era

So today my dear sweet friend Valerie moved away to Utah. It goes without being said that I will miss her dearly. She is the one person whom I tell EVERYTHING to—the good and the bad. There are no pretenses between us—we are who we are. She is the one person whom I can turn to when I need ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING no matter how big (or tiny) the favor and she is willing to drop (or juggle) everything to help me out. All I have to do is ask. Sometimes, I don’t even have to ask, she just volunteers before I can even think about what I need.

She has been there as my doula for the birth of my two children--I could never have done it without her. She is so willing to listen to my complaints and commiserate--all while helping me to see the positive side in all things. She encourages me to try new things that I never would have considered, and has been instrumental in making me into the person whom I am today.

We always laugh when people ask if we are sisters (we do look a bit alike) because we call each other that and feel like we truly are—even if it’s not by blood.

So I say goodbye to my loving sister Valerie and her sweet family. The era of you and I in Pasadena has ended, but I know that we will always be this close—even if we are states apart. I’ll miss our chaotic (yet yummy) lunches at Souplantation with the two of us and 6 kids (and all the crazy stares we got), trips to the Arboretum and the zoo, hanging out at the park while the kids play, and passing each other in the halls at church.

Someone who recently met Valerie made the comment to me that there is something about Valerie that just makes you feel like she genuinely wants to get to know you better and wants to be your friend. I have been fortunate enough to have been her friend for 12 years now and am truly a better person for it.

4 comments:

The Hyer Family said...

You've definitely been lucky to have her as such a good friend...we will all miss her...I can imagine that much more so for you...

Thomas said...

Hi Doris its me Kath, Val's friend from mepaf... :)Your post made my eyes water up. I too feel I have learned so much from Val and she is one of the most selfless people I know. Thanks for sharing. I hope you don't mind if I read your blog...:) See you at music class?

dana said...

I know I'm a little late with my comment here, but I thought this was such a sweet post. Cute tribute to your fun friend. I'm sure you guys will still stay close, even if you're states apart.

Valerie Wise Christensen said...

How sad is it that I JUST read this post. Now you have me all weepy. I miss you! Please come move to Utah with me. You have to, you are all thinking you want three kids and you can't have a baby without me, you know it's true. :)

Love you!!