My sister asked me the other day about what I liked at Trader Joe's. I didn't even know where to begin. I told her I did 90% of my grocery shopping there (the other 5% at Von's and 5% at Target). She asked me what makes it so great. Is everything there Organic? (No) Is it all super healthy? (no, but even the not so healthy foods, e.g. truffle brownies, are better for you than most traditional brand name treats because they don't use preservatives, artificial colors, or hydrogenated oils, etc.).A few weeks ago I was at a girls night out with a few gals from the ward (church congregation in LDS terms) and one of them suggested that we have a Trader Joe's night and bring our favorite thing from Trader Joe's to share. Apparently, whenever she goes there, she never knows what is good to buy, so she never shops there. Huh? Ummmm, pretty much everything there is good. Really.
And if you don't like it--just take it back. Regardless if you ate some. They will give you a refund with no questions asked. Even if it's something you cooked like a lasagna and you don't want to carry it back in, just tell the cashier you bought it and didn't like it. I've never had a problem--and it really gets me to try new things that I may not have purchased otherwise.
All that being said (whew!) I am going to start a Trader Joe's Tuesday to highlight one of my favorite things from Trader Joe's each week. Hopefully it will introduce my sister to a whole new world of culinary delights.
6 comments:
YEAH! We recently discovered Trader Joes and I'm stoked about your Tuesday postings. I'm still not sure what to try and had no idea they had an excellent return policy.
Super! I love Trader Joe's. Ever since I left California, I had been waiting for one to open in one of the places we've lived. That finally happened last year!
A couple of my favorites:
- Cranberry Walnut Gorgonzola salad dressing
- Frozen Edamame
- Organic truffles
I love this post and I look forward to a weekly update on good things to buy! I need to branch out there more often.
And yes, you stated it so well. There ARE healthy and organic things there, but that's not all that it's about. It's just good food and SERIOUSLY affordable (if not cheaper at times than Vons...I mean eggs are $1.29 at TJs and $3.49 at Vons. Come on!)
and p.s....
the only thing I've been disappointed in so far is their macaroni and cheese. So gross. I should have taken it back!
My favorite 2 things are their appetizers-the carmelized onion cheese puff, and their mushroom turnovers. Sooo good. I'm getting hungry!
ok so i'm obviously catching up on your blog posts and i must say i love the TJ tuesdays. trader joes is my FAVE, we love it. i basically do all my grocery shopping there unless i need produce in bulk and/or a specific item (i.e. lawrys taco seasoning, etc.) in which case i go to ralphs.
anyway...i saw that you guys were thinking about doing a TJ's tradeoff night and sharing your fave products. um...best idea ever!!! did you ever do that? if not i think we should totally instigate one. we could do it at my house if you want :)
Post a Comment