Saturday, October 4, 2008

Visit to the La Brea Tar Pits

I am embarrassed to say that I have lived in Los Angeles since 1993 and have never been to the La Brea Tar Pits. Since Heidi is in town visiting with her parents, they wanted to take her there to see the sights, so we met up with them on Thursday.

Fortunately, it wasn't quite as hot as it had been earlier in the week, so it was actually tolerable walking around outside. The kids had a great time walking around following the animal footprints (forgot take a pic of those).

Hanging out in front of one of the excavation pits
One of the excavation pits
It's fun to sit on a giant sloth
Goofing around...
Hannah playing hide-and-seek in the bushesThere was this giant grassy hill that you just couldn't help but roll down it. So fun!!
Not too dizzy
Having fun collecting sticks
Group picture with Heidi's parents and nephews in front of the huge lake of tar.
Can you see my big fat belly? Yeah...you can't really miss it, huh?
After the sightseeing, we headed over to the Beverly Connection for lunch at Souplantation. I have never been to this particular location and I have to say that I defintely prefer the Pasadena location. This one was really crowded, had a very poor layout/floorplan, and the people weren't helpful. Also, they didn't have those fabulous rolling highchairs that make life so much easier at a buffet. But, the food was super yummy, as always--so I can't complain too much.

I didn't have my camera on Friday, but we went to a temple session in the morning with Heidi's family and then Heidi, her sister-in-law Angie, and I headed back to Pasadena to have lunch at Cheesecake Factory and do a little shopping. We had pretty poor service at Cheesecake Factory (actually, I've never had good service there, but this was worse than usual...we sat there for 20 minutes before he even took a drink order), so lunch took forever which left us little time for shopping. Boo. Not to mention, I was so starving since it was after 2:00 by the time we got our food and I hadn't eaten since a bowl of cereal at 7:30am.

I do have to mention that we tried the Pumpkin Pecan cheesecake and it is seriously to die for. It's a seasonal item, so I highly recommend that you check it out before it's gone. So, so, so good. We also had the Raspberry Lemon cheesecake that was so yummy too.

It's been a fun few days with Heidi and nice mommy break for me on Friday since Sam watched the kids all day. YAY!

4 comments:

Jean said...

What a fun time! I enjoyed going to the tar pits too. And now I have to try that cheesecake. :-)

B Brown said...

I love the tar pits. Pretty cool to see actual excavation going on right in front of you. You always think of that being in "far away lands".

dana said...

Pumpkin cheesecake?! You shouldn't have mentioned that...

La La Land said...

How fun! I am sad to say that that was always on my list of things to do, but I never made it there! Boo hoo...