Sunday, October 19, 2008

Where did my week go?

So, somehow it's Sunday. I had the stomach flu last Sunday so we missed church and Hannah had a fever all last night so we are missing church again today. Sammy is totally confused as to why we haven't been to church in 3 weeks (General Conference was the week before last) and is mad that he can't hang out with his friends.

Wednesday, Hannah had her hearing test at Children's Hospital and everything went really well. There was pretty much no drama to do the test, she thought was she just hanging out and playing with toys. They had toys like this and this and every time she would hear a sound (usually a bird chirping type noise) they would have her put a piece on the peg. The sounds changed pitch and volume as they went along.

There was a little drama when they wanted her to put on headphones to do part of the test (so they could check each ear individually), but we managed to talk her into it by letting her play the game with a Mr. Potato Head. The most drama was when they wanted to put a little node into her ear, it didn't hurt, but she won't let anyone look in her ear, let alone put something in her ear. I, fortunately, thought ahead and had brought a Kit Kat with me as bribery in case I needed it. It worked! She sat there with tears in her eyes, munching on a Kit Kat while they did the test--that part was over in 10 seconds. Not too traumatic.

She only missed one pitch, but they tried again later in the test and she got it that time, so they figured it may have been a fluke. They said they wouldn't recommend any treatment even if she DID miss that one pitch because it was just one. They want to see her back in a year to see if the boney structure in her ear moves lower as she grows. Apparently, right now it is on the top of her ear canal blocking the very top of her eardrum, but they are afraid it may move down as she grows and block more of the eardrum. I forgot my camera, so no pictures...too bad because she was so cute sitting at that little table with the toys and headphones.

Friday, we headed to the zoo with Dana. We have been trying to get there for several weeks now, but it has just been too hot. The weather was perfect. Our kids were not. We left after about 90 minutes. It was partly my fault. I didn't bring the double stroller because I had left it outside when the gardeners came and it was filthy and I didn't have time to clean it off, so I just brought the single stroller for Hannah. Sammy usually walks anyway. Not this time. He dawdled and whined that he didn't want to walk and that he was hungry. If I let Hannah out so he could sit, she was dawdling. Lesson learned. BRING THE DOUBLE STROLLER DESPITE THE DIRT! My kids didn't even want to play on the playground (it was crowded), they just hung out by me and whined. Needless to say, we left pretty quickly.

No pictures even though I did bring my camera--the kids were not cooperative at all. I think Dana managed to capture a few. I thought for sure Hannah would take a nap that afternoon after all the walking, but no luck for me. I put them both to bed before 7pm and they were asleep quickly.

Last thing to note, my brother Mark and his wife Mariann had their baby last night. It was a boy!! (They didn't find out what they were having either). Sean Osborn was born at 10:01pm, weighing 7lbs and was 20 inches long. CONGRATS!

1 comment:

dana said...

I was actually going to email you tonight to see where you guys were today. Now I know! I hope Hannah doesn't have anything horrible. Being couped up all Sunday is pretty miserable.
Great recap of our Zoo trip :).
And I was actually just uploading some pictures now. There's a funny one of Lucy and Hannah you can steal if you want.

Sleep well tonight (I hope) and we'll see you during the week!