I was hoping that my opinion of her would change when I went back for his actual first day, but no, she was still just as bad.
I made sure not to let Sammy hear what I thought of her so he wouldn't be influenced by my opinion, but as soon as he got into his classroom, Samuel and I both talked to the principal (who happened to be roaming around the Kindergarten area at that moment) about our concerns. The principal actually agreed with my assessment and told me that "last year was not a good year personally or professionally for Mrs. ****" and that she "had a difficult time bonding with her students the first few months."
Are you kidding me with this? This is a group of 5 year olds, not troublesome 13 year olds. How hard is it to "bond" with a bunch of Kindergartners? If you don't like kids, then don't teach. It's that simple. I looked around at the other teachers when they were meeting their students this morning and I saw them getting down at eye level and saying hello and telling them how excited they were to have them in their class, etc. Sammy's teacher never made one comment or even a hello to any of the kids, she just got basic info regarding emergency numbers and lunch and then went on to the next parent.
There was no "hi, so nice to meet you"or "I'm so excited to have **** in my class" or even acknowledging the child, etc. I mean, would it kill her to act excited about Kindergarten? I have such fond memories of Kindergarten and my teacher, Mrs. Rosell, and I just hate to have Sammy miss out on that because of a lame burned-out teacher.
The principal asked me to bring her a letter explaining our situation, but said that nothing would be done until next week when they know what their numbers are for each class. And even then, they may not be able to move him.
Anyway, I was debating whether to walk or drive to school this morning since it's only a few blocks. I figured that there would be no parking since everyone would be driving their kids on the first day, so we walked. Of course, just as we are walking out front, Hannah pees in her underwear. (That pretty much sums up our potty training experience right there in case you were wondering). Luckily, she was wearing a dress and not pants AND we were outside, so I just ran back inside, put her in a diaper and off we went. Two kids in the stroller and Helene in the Moby Wrap and 15 minutes to walk 9 blocks. Did I mention it was 78 degrees out? I was so sweaty and gross by the time I got there.
My annual "first day of school" shot
(this is what my hair looks like curly,
for those of you who had asked about it)
He said he was hungry so we went to Taco Bell for a quesadilla as a treat. When I asked about his day, he said it was fun, and when I asked what he did he said "played outside". So typical, right?
I checked his lunch box and he had eaten barely anything--I guess that explains why he was so hungry. When I asked why he didn't eat his lunch, he told me that they only had 10 minutes for lunch and it wasn't enough time to eat. Not sure what that was all about, but hopefully he'll eat more tomorrow.
And I've written my letter and just need to give it to the principal tomorrow morning. Let's hope something changes next week.
8 comments:
I'm so sorry that you got that class. I know exactly who that is. I really hope Ms Sarian can help you out. The other teachers are waaaay better! Good luck. Hang in there - the first grade teachers are awesome!
I'm so sorry the experience has been awful!!! I hope you can get him switched!! So fun, but so sad to see the familiar surrounds of that school....that's where I used to live :-( Let us know how it all turns out for you!
oh and you've got yourself a handsome kindergartener!
Oooohhh, Christian had a HORRID first grade teacher last year. I finally got him switched for the last three weeks of school. He went from all F's to A's, B's and C's. Three Weeks. Go with your gut. Document, document, document and get him out of there! I wish I hadn't been so "nice". I doubted myself and it was horrible. Luckily, he has an awesome teacher this year and is really helping him. Good luck!!! Hope you get the change! (PS, I threatened...nicely...to remove him from the classroom and homeschool the rest of the year.)
Sorry Sammy got such a lousy teacher!!! Hopefully they'll be able to switch his class!
P.S. His legs look GREAT!!!
What a great post - I love the very detailed account. I'm really bummed that Sammy has that teacher right now, and hopefully, HOPEFULLY they'll be able to switch him. The fact that you're concerned enough to talk to the principal and write a letter should indicate that you mean business about a switch. I hope that works out. In the meantime, I hope he has fun!!! One day down, a few hundred thousand to go!!! :-)
Arrrrgggh! I hope that the school will be able to do something about it whether it is switching classes or kicking the teacher in the butt. You know you can drop your girls off anytime you need to go to class with Sammy! And yes, his legs look great. What a difference from his picture a year (or 2) ago.
Oh, Doris, what a drag! I'm so sorry to hear about Sammy's teacher. Be pleasant, but assertive with the principal and hopefully he can get switched. Call me if you want to vent! I'm glad Hannah got into SME's pre-k. That's great! Hopefully she might be more motivated with potty training if she knows it will get her hours of fun everyday! I'll keep posted to see how things go.
I love that shot of you with the three kids. Such a great mom-in-action shot. And I always love your hair curly, no matter what length!
Post a Comment