Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Trader Joe's Tuesday: Salad Dressings


I was going to just blog about the Trader Joe's Creamy Cilantro Salad dressing since it's my favorite, but there really are some yummy ones out there so I am blogging about my four favorites.

Trader Joe's Creamy Cilantro Salad Dressing: This is a MUST for any fan of cilantro!! I personally LOVE cilantro and put tons of it in all my Mexican food and have even been known to eat it all by itself. So good!! And perfect with some Romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, black beans, corn and crushed tortilla chips and some more cilantro leaves. YUM!! Plus, it's reduced-fat...although you'd never know by the taste!


Trader Joe's Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar: This is so flavorful and a great basic dressing with mixed greens and some feta, dried cherries and pecans. It also goes great with this recipe. Oh, and a muscat is a type of grape, in case you were wondering...

1/2 head iceberg lettuce
1/2 head romaine lettuce
1 C. chopped celery
4 green onions, chopped
1 14 oz. can mandarin oranges
1 avocado
1 red apple, diced
1/4 C. dried currants or raisins
1/2 C. crumbled bleu cheese
3 chicken breasts, shredded/chopped
candied almonds

Salad Dressing
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 C. oil
1 T. chopped parsley
2 T. sugar
2T. Orange Muscat Champagne vinegar

Trader Joe's Raspberry Dresing: Now this isn't my all-time favorite raspberry dressing.

See, TJ's used to have a Raspberry Vinaigrette that was the same as the one they sold as part of their "Complete Spinach Salad" in a bag. Then all of a sudden the bottle of dressing was discontinued. When I asked why they weren't carrying it anymore, they said that demand was low.

Hah!

I think they realized that people were buying the dressing and all the other ingredients in their "Complete Salad" and making it for 1/4 of the cost themselves. I mean the dressing is STILL available if you buy their ready-made package. sigh.

Sorry for the rant. Don't even get me started on things that have been "discontinued"...they used to have this yummy vegetarian black bean chili that was sooooo good--it was all I ate when I was pregnant with Sammy...

Anyway, this is dressing still quite good--and is MUCH lower-fat than the other raspberry dressing that they used to have. This one has a much milder taste. Mix in spinach leaves, gorgonzola, crasins and walnuts.

Briannan's Poppy Seed Dressing: This last one isn't from Trader Joes, but I love it! Goes with anything and everything!!

I adore salads, so if you have a yummy dressing that you love--please pass it on!

6 comments:

dana said...

I was seriously looking at their dressings today and almost bought one, but I had branched out enough for the day. So now that I have your endorsement, I'll be trying the cilantro one! I LOOOVE cilantro.

lyndsey said...

mmm...that cilantro dressing is pretty similar to the delicious creamy tomatillo dressing at cafe rio, so it's great to use in your at-home barbacoa pork salads :)

thanks for the tips on the other ones, i will have to try. not going to lie, trader joe's tuesday is becoming my favorite day of the week!

Jean said...

Okay, now I absolutely MUST try the cilantro dressing. I saw it there the last time I went, and stared at it for like a minute, debating whether or not I should expand our current salad dressing portfolio to include a newcomer. Now I totally will!!

Angela said...

I'm definitely getting that cilantro dressing! My current favorite is their Cranberry Walnut Gorgonzola. There's so much already in the dressing that if you don't have any toppings around, it's great just on spinach or field greens.

Kizzycakes said...

i'm a huge fan of TJ Tuesdays! i'm always amazed at how much stuff is in that little store -- i guess it's just that EVERYTHING is so good. i so appreciate your recommendations. looks like your family is doing well -- so cute :)

Angela said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I bought the cilantro dressing, and it is soooo good. It's definitely a new favorite!