I can't believe it's been a year since his surgery (worst week of our lives!), but he is doing so well and has had little to no side effects. Before we did the surgery, his tibias were at a 24 degree curve. I am so excited to say that his legs are now at 15 degrees!! His doctor is quite pleased with the improvement and that the surgery is working for him, as apparently a lot of Rickets patients don't grow quickly enough for the procedure to work.
Last year the cold weather really affected him and he would be stiff and sore and unable to walk most mornings, I am hoping that this winter will be easier on him (and on me as it is tough carrying both he and Hannah).
We will continue to follow-up with CHLA every 6 months to do x-rays and see where he is at. It looks like we are right on track with the estimated 2 1/2 year time frame to have the plates removed. We still have to take care of his severe turn in, but we are going to deal with that after his legs are taking care of. I can only deal with one surgery (and the aftermath) at a time.
P.S. Hey! This is my 100th blog post!! YAY!
4 comments:
I actually noticed the other day at the park how great his legs were looking. What an improvement! I'm glad you're taking pictures along the way.
wow, that is so great! what a fantastic improvement. and congrats on the 100th post :)
What an improvement!! You can definitly see the difference!
Yea! Congratulations to the little guy!
Post a Comment