Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Status on Sammy

In the pre-op area

So, it's been a really long 24 hours. REALLY long.

I only have a few minutes to post before I have to get back to the hospital, but I wanted to give an update.

It didn't start out too well with Sammy refusing to take the oral medication that they give before they take the kids to the OR. He's taken it twice before with no problem, but absolutely refused this time. After trying and failing with three doses and lots of crying, kicking and spitting it out. Samuel had to put on a protective suit and cap and go with Sammy to the OR to help them administer a face mask of gas to knock him out. I wanted to take a picture of Sam in the "bunny suit", but didn't think Samuel would be very happy about it.

The operation itself went well and there were no complications. They gave Sammy a spinal block for the pain that was supposed to block the pain for 18 hours, as well as, a general anesthetic. He did really well in the recovery room and when they took him up to his room for the night. I felt like he was okay to leave with Samuel while I went home to feed Helene and say goodnight to Hannah.

Unfortunately, about an hour later, Samuel called and needed to me to come back ASAP as Sammy was in excruciating pain and was writhing in pain, screaming and basically losing control. It was totally surprising as we thought the block wouldn't wear off until sometime around 2am. By the time I was able to get back, it had taken morphine, valium and another pain medication that I can't remember the name of, to calm him down.

And it's been that miserable since then.

He is getting the morphine every 2 hours and that is barely containing the pain. I ended up spending the night (it was orginially planned for Samuel to spend the night) since Sammy wanted only Mommy at this point. He slept about 10 minutes of every hour last night and we both finally fell asleep around 4am this morning. We were not happy to be woken up at 6:30am by the street cleaning type machine that they use to wash the floors. It was so freaking loud and totally unacceptable to have them using at 6:30 in the morning on a post-surgery floor where there were kids who were up all night moaning or screaming in pain--and not just Sammy. I was so mad--I am definitely writing a letter about how unnecessary that is.

We are trying to get him off the morphine and switch to Tylenol with codeine so he can come home, but he is still refusing to take any oral medications, so we are staying another night. There is no way I'm taking him off morphine and bringing him home with just codeine...that he may or may not take.

Anyway, I am home for an hour to eat, put Hannah to bed, and nurse Helene, but I also wanted to give a quick update because I know people are wondering how we are doing. We are exhausted--physically, mentally, emotionally, but thanks to wonderful friends and family we are hanging in there.

My mom and dad got here Sunday night to help out and stay here with Hannah and Helene. It's so great to have family nearby.

This is just the basics of what is going on---I could SERIOUSLY write a novel about all the drama with nurses, Sammy, Sammy's roomate, etc., but I've GOT to go!! Hope we get some sleep tonight.

Thanks for all the prayers on our behalf--we sure do need them!

About an hour after surgery, before the pain meltdown

10 comments:

Tara said...

Poor little guy!!! I hope this passes soon, and things get better! We are thinking of you guys! Hang in there Sammy!

La La Land said...

Oh Doris, I am so sorry! I hope you all get some much needed rest and that Sammy will take his meds. You are in our prayers!

Oh, and I can attest that hospitals decided to clean at the WORST possible times! So sorry...

megan said...

we are thinking about him!!! and missing him!!! you are one strong lady!!! I couldn't do what you do!!! looking forward to more updates

The Facks of Life said...

wow! i really hope it gets better soon. let me know if you need anything.

LauraT said...

I'm so sorry to hear of how hard it's been. So many challenges....I have been praying for you and Sam and Sammy and will continue to. You'll all get through this...one second at a time...

lyndsey said...

thanks for the update! i've been thinking about you guys & praying for you. hope things only get better from here on out! call if you need anything.

kristen said...

Ooooh. Poor little Sammy. We love you guys and hope the worst is over!!!

dana said...

Oh, that last picture of him is so sweet. He looks wiped out, but so cute.

Jean said...

Oh, Doris!! I'm glad the surgery went well, but the pain sounds horrific!! Poor Sammy. I hope things are going better now. We love you guys. :-) Sending hugs your way!

EG said...

This makes me so sad! What can I do to help you, Doris? I'm serious. Call me.