Sunday, May 24, 2009

End of a long week

I won't lie. I am so glad this week is over. It's been a long road, but looks like we are finally on the upswing of things.

I've had a few people ask me what exactly the surgery entailed, so I'll give it to you in layman terms: they cut off his feet, moved them outwards 20 degrees and then set the bones with pins and wrapped it all in a cast. Obviously, the cutting off of the feet wasn't through both sides of the skin, they cut through one side of skin and stopped when they were entirely through the bone and then moved everything. So, some of the skin on the side that wasn't cut through will be twisted, but I was told it wouldn't be that noticeable. I will have to ask and see if it evens out over time. So, yeah, really painful. I would need the morphine for longer than 3 days--that's for sure!

Sammy had a total and complete breakdown on Thursday night, more emotional than anything. I felt so bad for him, he was so upset about everything and was kicking, screaming, throwing things and just so frustrated and really had no idea how else to express his feelings. I tried to sit on the couch and hold him, but he wanted nothing to do with me. I gave him time to let it all out and after close to an hour, I was considering calling his surgeon and asking for some valium when he finally calmed down. I put him to bed and he fell right asleep. Poor little guy. He slept until close to 10am (went to bed at midnight), so that's the best night's sleep he's had so far.

Since then, there haven't been anymore outbursts and he's been sleeping quite well. We've been pretty much hibernating indoors, except for Thursday when I took Hannah and Helene over to Dana's to play--and for me to get away for a bit too.

Samuel went back to work Friday night and has been working double shifts since. I've been too intimidated to attempt going anywhere with all the kids, but finally gave in to cabin fever today and we went to the Arboretum to hang out for a bit in the afternoon. We skipped church since Samuel had to work and I was not going to try the wheelchair, Helene in the carseat, and Hannah all by myself at church.

The Arboretum was the perfect Sunday outing. Beautiful weather and everything was in bloom. I was thrilled that my favorite tree was blooming too. So pretty and smells absolutely divine.

I'm sure we were quite the spectacle with me pushing the wheelchair, trying to hold Hannah's hand (I was actually content to let her run ahead, but she wanted to hold hands), and carrying Helene in the Moby Wrap. We stayed about an hour and then it was time to head back and make dinner. I think next time I'll try the double stroller, I just wanted to keep his legs elevated for now and can't really do that with the stroller.

Hannah wanted to try pushing the wheelchair
and actually did a great job!
Trying not to smile...
Pushing really fast!
Everyone has been so great with bringing by meals, gifts, and mailing cards and CARE packages for Sammy. It really has been so sweet and so incredibly thoughtful. THANK YOU to all!!

Cupcakes my neighbor brought by...soooo yummy.
Yay for new toys
and much needed entertainment!
CARE package from my cousin Laurie and her family in WA
She even included a little something for Hannah too!
Sammy's class at school made him lots of "get well" cards
He LOVED them!
There has been much more than this, but I didn't think to take pictures of everything. Thanks again to all for the overwhelming love and support we have gotten from all of you!! Whether you are near or far--we feel the love and are so blessed to have such amazing friends and family!

7 comments:

LauraT said...

Sounds like you guys are doing well. It's been a hard "event"-his surgery, but he looks to be on the mend. Hang in there! When things settle down a bit I'll inquire about visiting and bringing a meal and a child or two to play with your kids. We'll see what the next couple of weeks look like. Praying for you!

dana said...

Great post. Cute pictures of Sammy in his wheelchair. Those little casts really are cute (if that's possible....just seems that anything that's small is cute). I'm sorry that it was a rough week. But I'm so glad it's behind you!
And wow, not only did you GET out of the house and push a wheelchair around with all three kids....but you took pictures of your outing too! Impressive! :)
I hope this week goes a little better. You can escape over to our house again if you need to!

Jean said...

Yes, that sounds like a very painful surgery. I can totally understand why he gets upset, but I bet that getting outdoors was so good for him!! You are doing awesome, Doris. Let me know when I can watch Hannah and Helene for a few hours!

megan said...

oh I'm so glad for an update!! was wondering about you guys while running today :-) he really does look good in his wheelchair,

I just feel so bad for all of you! you are amazing!!

La La Land said...

I'm so glad to get an update. I have thought about you all week. I hope you all hang in there! You are such an amazing Mom!!!!!

That picture of Sammy and Hannah in front of your favorite tree are precious.

kristen said...

Oh wow... that description of the surgery was almost more than my stomach could take! No wonder it was so traumatic. But he really does look great in the photos. That's really cute that Hannah wanted to push the wheelchair. I'm glad you guys are hanging in there!!! xoxo

Sherry Carpet said...

ally would LOVE to have Hannah over, and i am sure if Liv could talk she would be begging to play with Helene. So think of us if you're needing a little time alone with Sammy, who is braver than brave.