Thursday, May 29, 2008

week in review

Warning: Long and detailed post (mostly for my journal) and no pictures.

So Memorial Day was a bit of a bust due to the weather. We had plans to go back to my parents house for more swimming, but it was way too cold and windy! We still drove out there (we being me and the kids since Sam had to work) and had a fun visit with all the family. Sammy's favorite cousin Jon was there, so he was thrilled!

Mom and I left the kids at the house with the rest of the family and did a brief shopping trip at their brand new Target. Yes, I am jealous as ours is so picked over and we have such lame people working there. This new one is a full on grocery store as well.

Lucky.

Then we got a pizza to go from Round Table Pizza (my favorite) for lunch. The one here has been closed for remodeling FOREVER now...sigh. I really miss it.

We went back to the house, played on the swings and trampoline in the backyard and watched the older kids swim. Sammy and Hannah really wanted to go swimming too, but there was NO WAY I was getting in with all that cold wind. After dinner (and several Hannah tantrums and one HUGE Sammy tantrum because he didn't want to leave Jon) we headed back home. I took my camera but didn't take any pictures.

The weather has definitely improved as the week has progressed and we've been back to "perfect" weather. Nothing too hot, nothing too cold. I LOVE it!

Tuesday Sammy stayed home from school because he had woken up in the middle of the night with leg pains. They were so bad that he actually asked me for some medicine. I knew he wasn't feeling well if that's what he wanted. I'm chalking it up to a growth spurt. I know that it's hard for him to walk when his legs are hurting, plus he didn't sleep well, so I didn't make him go to school.

We finally got ready for the day, first a quick trip to Costco for some necessities and pizza and a churro for me and the kids. Then we walked down to CVS to drop off a prescription for Samuel and then continued on to Petco while we waited for the meds to be filled. Sammy and Hannah love hanging out at Petco--we were there for almost 45 minutes looking at all the mice, rats, hamsters, snakes, frogs, geckos, fish, birds, etc. Seriously, they had a BLAST! Who knew Petco was so entertaining? Sammy fell in love with the Chinchillas and keeps asking me if we can get one. Ummm, no. We have enough animals.

Back to CVS and then on to the park. We called Natalie to see if she wanted to hang out since it's right across the street from her house, but she wasn't home. Maybe next time, Nat. We had a fun time and managed to spend 2 hours there (!) and then walked back home. All in all a fun day with lots of walking for me (I need it!) and Sammy's legs seemed okay (although he was in the stroller for all the walking).

Wednesday my parents were in town so we went to the zoo. It was really crowded with school field trips, so that was a little annoying, but otherwise a fun time. Hannah got super tired and cranky after about an hour (again, at that hard stage where she wants to walk and not sit in the stroller, but WILL NOT listen to any direct you give and takes off running.) We decided to cut our losses and head over to the playground to let the kids play. Again, super crowded from all the school kids, so we left after 15 minutes). Back to the car and back home. Luckily, Hannah fell asleep on the drive--she needed it.

Later, I met up with some of my former co-workers from The WB for dinner at Zach's Italian Eatery in Studio City.

All I can say is yummy!

I highly recommend the vegetarian lasagna. The garlic rolls were totally hyped on the reviews I read online, but I wasn't that impressed, but the lasagna definitely made up for that.

It was so good to hang out with old friends and catch up (I took my camera, but didn't take any pictures, again. lame). The best part was going home and finding both kids bathed and fast asleep in bed. Hmmmm, maybe I should make plans to go out at night more often. I thought for sure Hannah would still be up since she didn't get up from her nap until 5pm. Yay for Samuel--you can have bedtime duty anytime!

Today's highlights were a trip to visit Erika to get Sammy's haircut (great job as always!) and Jamba Juice as a reward for Sammy being such a good boy during the haircut and then to Pottery Barn Kids for a little play time. They rearranged the store, so it's not as "play friendly" as it's been in the past. Hmmm, maybe they are catching on to my plan...

Tonight was also Open House at Sammy's school. He had a ton of crafts and artwork collected from the school year...now I need to find a place to put them all.

I am glad tomorrow is Friday and the weekend will be here soon. I'm ready to sleep in on Saturday.

3 comments:

Jean said...

Wow, sounds like a busy week!! You are totally out and about with your kids - you're my idol. Enjoy a nice sleep-in on Saturday! Then go to the Stake Fair, yay! :-)

lyndsey said...

yay for new blog friends! i can't wait to catch up on all your posts :) um, so, sorry i called you last night...looks like you've been a busy lady and needed some down time anyway (not to mention you've already gotten more than your share of walking in for this week :). we shall get together SOMEDAY, for real!

The Hyer Family said...

We definitely do the Petco thing too...it's right across from Lauren's preschool, and both kids love watching the Doggy Day Care...tons of dogs all behind a huge wall of glass...an easy activity.