Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Trader Joe's Tuesday: Pizza Sauce & Plain Pizza Dough

How pathetic that I have no posts between my weekly TJ's posts. Apparently, I've not been into blogging lately...or I have nothing exciting to share. Probably both.


OK, so this week's recommendation is one of my new favorites--we've made it three times in the past week. I've had friends rave about Trader Joe's Pizza Dough for quite some time, but it still has taken me years to try it out. Not sure why that is, but I'm so mad I didn't try it sooner.

It's in the refrigerated section and comes in three varieties: plain, garlic & herb, and whole wheat. I've tried the plain and the garlic & herb. My family HATED the garlic & herb dough (I didn't think it was that great either), but the plain is so simply yummy that there is no need for any extra flavoring. I haven't tried the whole wheat and probably won't because no one in my house will eat it besides me.

I'm super picky about my pizza sauce (well, my marinara sauce too), so I was a little hesitant to try this one out because I have yet to find a bottled marinara that I like. The Trader Joe's pizza sauce is so perfectly and lightly seasoned--it truly is the perfect sauce.

It's so easy (and cheap) for a quick dinner--the dough is $1.29 and the sauce is $1.89 (and you'll get three pizzas out of a jar), then just add cheese and any other toppings you want. So easy and so good--even my husband asked for seconds and he's not a pizza fan at all.

By the way, aren't the pictures way better? YAY for my new camera!!

6 comments:

Jean said...

I LOVE THESE TOO!!! Tim and I love the plain dough - we've tried the whole-wheat, and it's good for a whole-wheat dough, but the plain is still the best.

I like to make a margherita pizza with these ingredients - a little sauce, then fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil on top. SO GOOD! Now my mouth is watering. :-)

Angela said...

Thanks for the tip on the pizza dough. I've never used it, but now I'll pick it up and try it!

dana said...

Yes, I've tried their sauce and like it too. But like you...I've heard about the dough but never tried it. I'll be picking some up next shopping trip. Thanks!

Brittany said...

Ooh! I'm so glad you tried it! It's good, huh? It looks like they've changed the packaging and raised the price 20 cents. Well worth it, though. I discovered that I can ask for it frozen at the grocery store I go to here, then I just put it in the fridge in the morning the day I know I want to use it. That way it stays good longer.

Last night I used some really cheap sauce and it wasn't as good. Next time I'm in CA I should stock up on TJ pizza sauce.

Target's Archer Farms brand makes a really good jarred marinara. It's called Tomato Basil, I think. Even my husband says he likes it, and he's really picky from living in Italy. You can buy it at Super Target stores. I'm not sure about regular Target.

Sorry, this is long. But one more tip. Try making the pizza with Italian mozzarella. It usually comes in liquid. It's soft and not as salty as American low-moisture mozzarella cheese, but it's sooooo good. You slice it and place it around the pizza. I like lots, but Italians spread it out, using less. At least try it for you and Sam. And here's a little trivia for ya: in Italy, mozzarella is not cheese. It's in it's own category. Interesting, huh?

Brittany said...

Wow, that was a long comment! Sorry for spamming up your blog!

Angela said...

I tried it this week and made BBQ ckicken pizza. So good!