Saturday, October 10, 2009

Back in the old neighborhood

I've mentioned before that my friend Heidi's parents are on a mission here. Which means that Heidi occasionally comes out this way to visit. Last weekend was her mom's birthday, so Heidi and her sister came out to help celebrate. The kids and I drove out there on Saturday afternoon to hang out.

Heidi's parents are living at the apartments on the Temple grounds in Westwood--which happens to be just blocks from where I worked from 1997-2000 doing marketing for the wireless division of Sprint. Walking around there certainly brought back a flood of memories about the days before I was married, but that's not what this post is about. :)

Her mom wanted to walk down to this little cemetery that is right in the middle of all the huge buildings on Wilshire. I knew exactly where she was talking about--it was literally right next door to my old office building. Here is a picture for old times sake.

Ahhhhhh...good old 10866 Wilshire Blvd
(clearly Sprint is no longer in this bulding)
The cemetery is very peaceful and serene and tucked away behind the tall buildings.
There are many celebrities buried there--the most famous is probably Marilyn Monroe. I remember walking around here on breaks from work(when I just needed to get out of the office) and seeing all the flowers and notes that people left at her grave. She is actually in one of those crypts in the wall, and not buried in the ground.

Here a just a few more celebrity graves we saw.
Hopefully, not too morbid--I thought it was interesting.
Surprisingly, no date on here...
The kids had a great time playing the fountains...
Fortunately, no one fell in
After our peaceful walk, we strolled into Westwood Village where I introduced them to aahs! and Diddy Riese. If you have never been to Diddy Riese--you MUST!! 10 varieties of homemade cookies and 12 flavors of ice cream--put them together to make a fabulous ice cream sandwich for only $1.50!! You just can't beat that! Don't be discouraged if there is a line (which there frequently is), it moves FAST!

If we had more time, I would definitely have hit up Lamonica's for some pizza and garlic knots, but we ended up with ice cream cookies sandwiches instead. Not a bad dinner option, in my opinion.

It was so fun to see Heidi and her sister and mom--thanks for the walk down memory lane.

9 comments:

Angela said...

I had an internship in college exactly where you went. The window where I sat overlooked that cemetery, and I remember one of the regular employees telling me about all the famous people buried there.

And I'll take one of those ice cream sandwiches for dinner any day and twice on Tuesday!

I'm glad you had such a fun day!

Megan said...

Because of you and Val, I have come to love Diddy Riese and am doing my part to introduce it to my fellow temple-going comrades in Ridgecrest...

danyelly said...

That is crazy that Ben's new job is in that exact building! He was even telling me about the cemetary.

lyndsey said...

how fun to go back to your old stomping grounds -- AND that you could get diddy riese. mmmmm.

LauraT said...

How neat! I remember visiting Westwood on the weekends in high school with my friends. I remember the delicious garlic bread at Santo Pietros. I also remember visiting my friend who was attending UCLA. I didn't know about that cemetery. Very cool...historic.

Jean said...

Cool! What a great day. I really need to go to Diddy Riese - everyone keeps talking about it. I'm fascinated by cemeteries, so that's really neat that you got to see the resting place of so many celebrities.

dana said...

What a fun outing! Ohhhh....the West Side. Fun, fun memories. Like I've always said, I wish we knew each other as single people too.

Lindsay said...

Ahhh...Diddy Riese! I know those cookies well...probably too well! My roommate and I used to walk from our dorm to get those cookies probably once a week. I'm craving a double chocolate white chocolate right now!

Kiffany Javier said...

Josue and I loved Merv's tombstone!