Monday, October 19, 2009

Summer revisited

We enjoyed some cooler temps at the beginning of last week accompanied by a little rain (although not the "big storm" that was predicted). It certainly felt like fall was here and I was so thrilled.

But then I was reminded how hot it still gets here in So Cal in October by the 97 degree temps three days in a row. Yuck. The kids and I braved the Arboretum on Saturday morning before it was too sweltering out.

Quick story. I just have to note at how much I have changed since I've had kids. Seriously, the "pre-children" me would have died at my outfit and hair and make-up. It was hot, so I wanted to wear something light colored--I wore my white shorts and the only light colored shirt I had that was clean was such a "mom" shirt. Really...the former me wouldn't be caught dead in that shirt, but it was a post-pregnancy buy and while it's a little big on me now, it's still short-sleeved and comfy so I wore it. But I couldn't decide on the shoes. I didn't want to wear my sandals because I didn't want to take the time to repaint my toes (and I refuse to wear sandals with chipped polish...at least I still have that going for me), so I put on my brown Sketchers and before I knew it, the words "do these shoes look okay?" actually came out of MY mouth....directed at my kids. Ummmmm...did I really just ask my 5 and 3 year old if my shoes matched my clothes? To his credit, Sammy does notice when I wear a new shirt or shoes and always compliments me when I'm dressed up and look nice. But still...

Anyway, sorry to ramble...I just had to document that I asked my kids for fashion advice.


Sammy found this In-N-Out sticker in the house before we left and stuck it on his shirt and wore it for the entire day.
Don't his legs look great, by the way?
Running off to play
We made it through the maze!
Helene was content to just hang out, as usualFor those of you who are familiar with the Arboretum, they took out the turtle.A beautiful day in So Cal
The kids love to find sticks and pretend that they are fishing They played here for about 30 minutesI hung out here while the kids played and Helene took a nap. The waterfall noises were so relaxing and the shade was perfect.Hannah came over for a snackWhile Sammy continued "fishing" on the bridge
Hannah joined him
One of my favorite things about going to the Arboretum on the weekends is seeing all the people there to take wedding pictures. There were at least 4 wedding parties there.
If you click to enlarge this picture and look closely, the bride in the larger wedding party on the left is wearing a pink gown.
We ended our outing with Taco Bell for Sammy and In-N-Out for Hannah and I...then back home to do some laundry. Fun day!

5 comments:

dana said...

okay, your outfit story is tooootally making me laugh. and btw, I've SEEN that outfit before (minus the sketchers) and I totally like it! The shirt is great on you and the white shorts are too!
But yes, asking a 3 year old for fashion advice. Classic.
Glad you had a fun time at the arboretum!

Megan said...

No turtle, eh? Good to know!

lyndsey said...

lol that story about your clothes is hilarious. i'm sure you looked fine. fun day at the arboretum! and that helene is SO cute.

LauraT said...

You know you're in serious "Mommydom" when you ask your 3 and 5 year olds for fashion advice. Ha! Ha! Interesting to note the changes motherhood has produced in you.

Emily Grunder said...

Doris,
your blog is awesome, I'm still trying to figure out how to post things and make mine more "hip" Em