Sunday, September 7, 2008

Feeding time at the zoo

Since it's been quite some time since we went (and we have a membership), so we headed out to the zoo on Tuesday.

Since most schools started school that week, this was the first time I have ever been there without seeing 10+ school buses there. There were none. I couldn't believe it--even Sammy noticed! "Mom! Look! Where are all the school buses?" It's cute how observant he is getting.

Despite our arrival at 10am when the zoo opens, it was already hot. I made the kids get out of the stroller and walk up the ramp. There was no way I was pushing them in the double stroller in this heat, pregnant or not.

They were both totally preoccupied with the map.
This went on all morning...

She looks so grown up!
It was so weird to be there with hardly any other people there. There were no school groups to maneuver through and really just a handful of people randomly here or there. We don't usually get there right at opening time and it turns out that is right around feeding time.

The zebras were off toward the back eating, but one actually came over for a drink. It's the closest I've ever seen them at this zoo. Usually they are always hovering in the back.

There was the cutest little baby goat (I'm sure there is a fancier, more official name for him, but to me, he was a goat). He kept making his cute little baby baaaa noise (or whatever it is they make) and he and the older goat kept hanging out by the side door--I think they were waiting for the food.OK--this is seriously how hot it was. Poor bear! He just sat there in the water. In all the times I have been to the zoo, I have NEVER seen the bear. He is always hiding out in his fake cave. I felt sorry for him--it must be hot in that heavy coat. I know I was totally sweating and it was only 11am at this point.
Even the chimpanzee was lounging on the rocks getting some of the mist from the waterfall.Again, I've never seen this many chimpanzees just hanging out. There are more to the side that I couldn't get in the picture.
Yep, feeding time. I guess they were just waiting for the oranges.My kids were more interested in gathering leaves than looking at the animals. Can you tell Sammy is in the goofy face stage?Hannah can be goofy too...when she wants.
Lounging on the hippo
Hannah wanted a turn
I think we spent as much time at the playground as we did walking around the zoo grounds. When we got there, there was only 2 other kids playing. Seriously? That place is ALWAYS packed with kids!!! The kids had a great time and we left around 12:30 when it started to get a little more crowded...plus I was ready for some real food and some a/c in the car.

Yep...they were still reading the maps on the way out.

It was so nice to be there without a mob of people in the way and it was great to see the animals more animated than they usually are. We'll have to head back when it's a bit cooler.

5 comments:

The Hyer Family said...

We miss the zoo...we haven't been since we moved. I only wish that the playground was closer to the entrance...that's where my kids like to go, and it's so freaking far away...who designed that?

Jean said...

Great pictures! Looks like a great time, despite the heat. Thank goodness for that pool of water for Sweaty Bear!

dana said...

funny map reading. How great!
And I'm loving your new camera. Great looking shots!

La La Land said...

That photo of Sammy making the funny face is SO FUNNY! So cute!

Nicole said...

so cute. we want to meet you there next time!!